Monday, December 22, 2008

Edward Taylor came from England in 1692 to Garretts Hill Per Henry's sons Obituary (William H. Taylor)

Excerpts from The Last Will and Testament
Added by henson176 on 20 Oct 2007
This information is extracted from the book compiled by Charissa Taylor Bass and Frank Bass, entitled Genealogy, Taylor-Snow, in memory of Oscar Taylor and Malvina Snow Taylor, published Freeport, Ill., Mar 9th, 1935.
"Edward, inheritor of the Silver Cup brought from England and entailed to him by his father. He was a man of wealth, with property in Freehold, Garretts Hill and Colts Neck, Shrewbury. Like his father Edward, he built a house at Garretts Hill; this house at the time of the Revolutionary War, was occupied by his son George and wife Mary Leonard. It was burned down only two years ago. (1933) Edward removed from Garrets Hill and had a Plantation at Colts Neck, Shrewsbury, where he died 1733/34. He died young at 56, and according to his Will, only Edward and John of his six sons, were of age. Of his 5 daughters, Susannah and Esther are untraced, Rebeekah being the only one whose children I found.
Edward's Will is in the Office of the Secretary of State, Trenton, New Jersey.
22 Feb 1733/34, from 591-601 (Book B. p. 554) of Wills. Excerpts from Edward's Will.
"The twenty-second day of February in the year of our Lord, One Thousand Seven Hundred & Thirty & Three. I Edward Taylor of Shewsbury, Province of N. J. do make this my last Will and Testament--"
Then follow items regarding burial and debts. But notice, the first piece of property mentioned, of any kind, is the family Heirloom!
"Item I give and bequeath unto my beloved son Edward Taylor, my Silver Cup after his mother's decease, to be possessed & enjoyed by him and his heirs forever. Item I give and devise unto my beloved sons Edward and John all that tract of Land in Freehold. Item I give & devise unto James, that Land called & known by ye name of "Ye Old Place" wherein I formerly lived. (Garretts Hill)." He then divides equally between Thomas and Joseph, "Ye Plantation whereon I live." Item I give & devise unto my son John the Bay Mare he now rides, to be held possessed & enjoyed by him and his heirs forever. My will is that my Dearly beloved wife Catherine, shall enjoy ye benefits and privilege of my now dwelling house and maintenance out of ye Plantation, so long as she remain my widow. Item I give and bequeath to my sons Edward and John five Ewes and five lambs to be possessed & enjoyed by and between them as they think proper or can agree by them and their heirs forever, also ye two sheep at Crosswickes. Item I give and bequeath sons James, Thomas, Joseph and George, each one good riding horse and saddle, when they arrive at ye age of Twenty and one years, also one cow to be enjoyed by them and their heirs forever. I give my son John one Gun, being at his Election to take either my father's or that which is called (now) his Gun. Item I give & bequeath unto my beloved daughters Esther, Susanna & Hannah each ye sum of Twenty Shillings. Item I give and bequeath unto by beloved daughter Catherine her riding saddle & one good riding horse, also a good feather bed with curtains & furniture suitable thereto. Also two cows either with calf or calves by their sides together with five Ewes and five lambs & six new chairs. Three pounds worth of Pewter and one chest or trunk, all which to be delivered to her at or upon ye Day of her Marriage, and ye same to be received & enjoyed by her & her heirs forever."
His daughter Rebecca received a like Dowry, so probably Esther, Susanna and Hannah were younger. James, Thomas, Joseph and George were under 21, and as they always mentioned in this order it is probably the order of their birth.
Additional information about this story
Description
Excerpts from Edward Taylor's Will
Date
1733
Location
New Jersey
Attached to
Edward Taylor (1678 - )
Other trees this object is saved to
Leavenworth, Sr Family Tree

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home